One of the errors that the users were facing was the launchctl error. So couple of days ago, the iPhone Dev Team released redsn0w 0.9.10b2 which fixes this issue.
From the team’s blog:
The b2 version of redsn0w includes the launchctl-related fix by @planetbeing as mentioned by @saurik here and here. As usual, you can just re-run redsn0w in jailbreak mode over your existing 5.0.1 jailbreak (even a PwnageTool one), making sure to de-select “Install Cydia” if you do. Always be sure to do a controlled “slide to power off” shutdown of your device before running redsn0w.
But that’s not the end of it, yesterday the iPhone Dev team released another update for the redsn0w jailbreak tool by releasing redsn0w 0.9.10b3. Users who had tethered jailbroken devices running on iOS 5.0.1 were facing crashes due to the MobileSubstrate-based apps. The latest version of redsn0w fixes these issues. The new beta fixes the issue where the MobileSubstrate apps stopped running until MS was installed again when re-running redsn0w over an existing jailbreak. While this would allow to re-run redsn0w without worrying about the stoppage, users shouldn’t forget uncheck “Install Cydia” option if its already installed.
And finally, we are going to tell you how to jailbreak untethered using redsn0w 0.9.10b3.
- Users who are on iOS 5.0.1 with a tethered jailbreak have two options. Either they install the Cydia package made by Chronic Dev Team or they run redsn0w 0.9.10 over the tethered jailbreak (uncheck “Install Cydia” if you choose this step). No matter which one you choose, the patches are the same.
- Those who are not on iOS 5.0.1 should update because the SHSH window is open for 5.0.1. Make sure to get 5.0.1 only via a custom IPSW when unlocking through Ultrasn0w or gevey (follow our guide here to unlock via ultrasn0w). Once updated, use the latest resn0w update to jailbreak untether.
- Users on hybird 5.0/5.0.1 will get a reboot cycle if they attempt to install the untether over that setup. First they should do a sync and a fresh restore then attempt to install the untethered jailbreak.
Supported devices for the untethered jailbreak:
- iPhone 4 and 3GS
- iPod Touch 4G and 3G
- iPad 1
Yes no iPhone 4S or iPad 2, but Pod2g has promised that he will soon find an untethered jailbreak for that as well. iPhone 3GS and 4 users who are depended on carrier unlock are recommended to preseve their baseband. They can follow our guide here to create and restore iOS 5.0.1 firmware using the PwnageTool and iTunes which will allow them to preserve their basebands for the unlock.
- iTunes, download from this link
- iOS 5.0.1 firmware, download from this link
- Redsn0w 0.9.10b3, download for Windows from this link, for Mac from this link
A step by step tutorial:
Step 1: Using the iOS 5.0.1 IPSW downloaded above, backup your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad.
Step 2: Open the latest version of redsn0w downloaded from above, choose “Extras”>”Select IPSW” and browse for iOS 5.0.1 IPSW file.
Step 3: Tap on “Jailbreak” and “Install Cydia” (Only those who are not running this over a tethered setup).
Step 4: Follow the on-screen instructions to get the device into DFU mode.
Step 5: After it is finished, the device will be rebooted and the untethered jailbreak on iOS 5.0.1 will be installed on it.
Congratulations! You now have jailbroken your iDevice untethered on iOs 5.0.1.